[BRLTTY] screen make problem in Snow leopard solved

Cheryl Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:50:13 EDT 2011

Some of you may remember that i found quite a while back that I couldn't compile the screen program necessary for using brltty in Macosx. The problem was an apparently-missing sys/stropts.h. At the time I posted to this list and combed the Internet but found no solution. So I've just been copying my compiled screen from mac to mac; the drawback of this was that Rosetta had to be installed to run my screen program because I had originally compiled it on a ppc Mac (there were no Intel Macs at the time).

Today i was trying to help a friend get brltty on her Mac running Snow Leopard and when I tried to use the screen program I had been using, the message came up saying that she needed Rosetta to run this. She had lost her install dvd and i couldn't immediately find it on the Internet. So I once again tried to compile on my Mac and once again got the stropts.h error.

However, as soon as I began searching the Internet, I found the account of a similar situation and I found a pty.c patch that solves the problem. I have installed the screen program using this patch and brltty works with it. i applied the brltty patch first and then the pty.c patch.

Here is a link to the patch. Perhaps there should be a link to it or better yet, perhaps it could be incorporated into the Patches directory. I believe this eliminates the need to install Rosetta, which actually only helped if you could get screen from somebody like me who had compiled it before the problem arose. Of course no one can say what changes the release of Lion may bring.

https://trac.macports.org/raw-attachment/ticket/13009/patch-pty.c

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth