[BRLTTY] the flite speech driver is broken

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Oct 6 23:25:23 EDT 2011

Attempting to start latest BRLTTY from SVN with the fl speech driver
produces this:

brltty: /lib/brltty/libbrlttysfl.so: undefined symbol: register_cmu_us_kal
brltty: cannot load speech driver: /lib/brltty/libbrlttysfl.so
brltty: speech driver not loadable: fl

This appears to be caused by the REGISTER_VOX and UNREGISTER_VOX symbols
in the driver source code that don't get properly replaced by
register_cmu_us_kal16 and unregister_cmu_us_kal16 respectively (note the
trailing 16).  This is also confirmed by nm:

$ nm Drivers/Speech/FestivalLite/speech.o | grep cmu
         U register_cmu_us_kal
         U unregister_cmu_us_kal

Hardcoding the proper register_cmu_us_kal16 and unregister_cmu_us_kal16
in the source (also verified with nm) allows the driver to load and
work.

I'm guessing that the bad substitution is caused by the autoconf code
somewhere, but my autoconf fu is next to nonexistent and I can't debug
this further.

Nicolas