[BRLTTY] the flite speech driver is broken

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 7 22:15:27 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2011/10/07 at 19:22 -0400]

>Another problem: I now just tried festival (fv) and it doesn't mute.
>With Say-Line mode set to Immediate, the speech isn't stopped when a new
>speak request is sent.  Instead, the old speech continues to play while
>the new speech is being mixed in.  Setting Autospeak to yes and moving
>around sounds like a crowd!

The driver uses the "(audio_mode 'shutup)" command. The documentation for it is
as follows:

   (audio_mode 'shutup)
          Close the audio down now, stopping the current file being played
          and any in the queue. Note that this may take some time to take
          effect depending on which audio method you use. Sometimes there
          can be 100s of milliseconds of audio in the device itself which
          cannot be stopped.

I wonder if this "some time" thing is what you're seeing. Maybe speaking
something longer with, say, a command like SAY_BELOW would be a way to test
this.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.