[BRLTTY] the flite speech driver is broken

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Fri Oct 7 19:22:48 EDT 2011

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2011/10/07 at 13:13 -0400]
>
> >The version installed here is libflite 1.4-release-2.
>
> And I can confirm that 1.2 and 1.3 do it the old way. I guess, therefore, it
> changed in 1.4.
>
> >Could the register/unregister symbols be dynamically resolved using
> >dlsym() instead?  This way both possibilities could be attempted at run
> >time, and the default voice could even be changed with a driver
> >parameter using -S instead of being fixed at compile time.
>
> Yes, that could probably be done. I don't want to mess with that before
> releasing brltyt-4.3, though. That's still on track for Monday. So, for 4.3, I
> think we'll just settle for the default flite voice being changed to kal.

OK, makes sense.  Tried it and that appears to work fine.

Another problem: I now just tried festival (fv) and it doesn't mute.
With Say-Line mode set to Immediate, the speech isn't stopped when a new
speak request is sent.  Instead, the old speech continues to play while
the new speech is being mixed in.  Setting Autospeak to yes and moving
around sounds like a crowd!

Nicolas