[BRLTTY] Bluetooth with Brailliant display (Baum)

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 13 08:04:46 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 07:18:21AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2011/10/12 at 17:13 +1100]
>
> >But, basically just needed to use rfcomm connect
>
> Did you just give rfcomm connect the Linux device name and device's Bluetooth
> address, or did you also specify any of its other parameters?

rfcomm connect <bluetooth address of Braille display>

> > >and then -d /dve/rfcomm0 option on brltty command line.
>
> The official format, these days, is serial:rfcomm0.

Oh, ok, thanks.

> >Direct bt connection through brltty didn't seem to work...
>
> I'd still like to udnerstand why using the device directly didn't work, and

Of course

> what it takes to get it to work. If you have some time to experiment with that,
> please let me know.

Well, I've got a fairly intensive exam period coming up over the next
month or so, but after that I'd love to try and sort it out.

> You can specify the Linux device in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf, and, of course,
> the braille device in /etc/brltty.conf. Then you shouldn't need a script.

MMM, spent 5 mins playing with it, I had to use connect, bind didn't do
the job and I'm not sure if I can do "connect" from the file. Anyway the
script works ok since when I log in on battery I have scripts to disable
bluetooth etc., so at least the script enables bt again, and it seems
sometimes I need to restart bluetooth and brltty, to get the thing to
connect, so the script takes care of that as well. It's still a bit
problematic, but I've got a fairly good strike rate so far on each
boot:) One thing that would be nice would be to run the rfcomm connect
command in some kind of batch mode so that I could put the call to
brltty into my script, I tried putting the process in the background,
and sleeping processing for 10 s (with sleep command), but it didnt
appear to work. It's not a huge problem though. The other advantage of
the script is that I do not have to edit brltty.conf every time I change
between usb and bt, I'm usually using usb, so it makes sense to just use
the bluetooth device specification on the command line I guess...:)

Anyway, when my exams are finished and I've got more time, it'd be
really good to try and get direct connection through brltty worked out...:)

Dan