[BRLTTY] Bluetooth with Brailliant display (Baum)

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 13 08:50:18 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Daniel Dalton on 2011/10/13 at 23:04 +1100]

>Well, I've got a fairly intensive exam period coming up over the next
>month or so, but after that I'd love to try and sort it out.

Thanks. Your exams, of course, are far mor important.

>> You can specify the Linux device in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf, and, of course,
>> the braille device in /etc/brltty.conf. Then you shouldn't need a script.
>
>MMM, spent 5 mins playing with it, I had to use connect, bind didn't do
>the job and I'm not sure if I can do "connect" from the file.

No, you can't do connect from /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf. Another thing is that
just putting an entry in the file isn't good enough as it doesn't just
automatically take effect. It'll take effect on the next boot. You can also
force it to take effect by explicitly binding the device. For example, if
you've defined rfcomm0 in rfcomm.conf, then you can force the entry to take
effect via the command "rfcomm bind rfcomm0". The entry in rfcomm.conf should
look like this:

   rfcomm0 {
      bind yes;
      device 01:23:45:67:89:AB;
      channel 1;
      comment "Braille Display";
   }

>One thing that would be nice would be to run the rfcomm connect command in
>some kind of batch mode so that I could put the call to brltty into my script,

That's essentially what bind (instead of connect) does. It defines the device,
but the actual connect will only happen when brltty opens the device.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.