[BRLTTY] Next and previous console commands lose position

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Oct 15 13:55:49 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2011/10/15 at 12:16 -0400]

>This suggests it's specific to the bc640

No, that's not possible. Key table processing provides a solid wall between
what the driver sends and what the core receives. The driver sends key events -
the core receives commands. If the device wer sending something odd, that'd
very likely cause the key bindings to be misinterpreted. If anything in all of
htis procesisng were wrong, it'd be extremely unlikely that you'd be seeing
something so apparently well-defined.

>or the feature pack

I doubt that the FP cluld be introducing this kind of problem. I've now seen
lots of logs from BC640's with an FP, and none of them give any indication that
the FP is interfering with key event packets from the base unit.

>or perhaps to the 2.6 firmware.

I also doubt this. You can send me a log if you like, in which case I'll check
it very carefully in order to confirm. If you do, yes, I need to see the input
packets.

>I know my firmware was installed improperly because the device crashes
>if I put anything in the "notes" folder. Maybe it's sending something
>despicable...

A log would reveal such a thing. Again, though, you seem to be seeing something
so well-defined that, whatever is the cause, it really has to be the same no
matter which device is being used.

Another fact which needs to be considered (at least by myself) is that the core
contains no code which is actively aware of virtual console switching, other
than in the areas of cursor routing, cursor dragging (really, a special case of
cursor routing), and speech tracking. The general code simply asks the system
which virtual console is active, points to a structure which contains its
state, and then does it's thing. The only thing I can think of which might
cause what you're seeing is if your system is operating at just the right speed
so that the switch, which is asynchronous, is taking place right between when
the core asks which console is active and when it retrieves the cursor location
of the current console. I'm not even sure if that's possible, but I'm still
raising it as a possibility.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.