[BRLTTY] Need help remapping display

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Oct 25 14:51:14 EDT 2011

[quoted lines by S. Massy on 2011/10/25 at 14:31 -0400]

>The command-line I used for the log output is the following:
># /home/smassy/brltty/bin/brltty -b bm -d /dev/ttyUSB0 \
>  -k /home/smassy/brltty/etc/brltty/z.ktb -ldebug -L/tmp/brltty.log
>
>z.ktb is just a meta file sourcing brl-bm-display6.kti and
>brl-bm-routing6.kti, and thos files, I have not yet modified.

With this explanatiino, I already can see what the problem is. the -k option
specifies the key table to be used with your PC keyboard. You're getting those
errors bcause the PC keyboard has no keys named RoutingKey, etc. For now, just
don't specify the -k option. Or, maybe, you do want to specify it. If you're
using a desktop, for example, you may wish to try out -kkeypad. Then you can go
into kbd-keypad.ktb to see how the kaypad has been mapped. That may help you
get better navigation while you're working on remapping your Baum keys.

You can't specify the name of the braille device key table which is to be used.
There is, however, a way you can easily override any of them without modifying
them. When brltty looks for a data file, it first looks in the ".brltty/"
subdirectory of your home directory (as defined by $HOME). If the HOME
environment variable isn't set then it looks in "/.brltty/".

A quick note on how you're specifying the device. Giving the full path to a
serial device is still supported, but the preferred way is to specify (in your
case) "serial:ttyUSB0".

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.