[BRLTTY] Improving the speech support of brltty

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 26 02:20:39 EDT 2012

Okay - here's my first attempt at it. Please build the latest development code
and give it a try. To use the new speech navigation commands, specify the
keypad keyboard key table with -kkeypad. You can invoke these commands by
holding the keypad plus key and pressing keypad digits 1 through 9. The new
commands are:

   123: speak previous character, speak current character, speak next character
   456: speak previous word, speak current word, speak next word
   789: speak previous line, spell current word, speak next line

Since different speech screen readers seem to do things differently, there seem
to be no standards. I've tried to make word navigation simple, therefore, in a
way which seems, at least to me, relatively easy to use. If it's not good
enough, we can, of course, improve it. Please do give it a try for a bit,
though, to be sure that it's not just habits that may make it seem no good.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html