[BRLTTY] Improving the speech support of brltty

Eric Scheibler email at eric-scheibler.de
Thu Apr 26 18:40:25 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

thanks for your fast reaction, great work so far, the word-by-word
navigation works definitely well. nevertheless I want to list some
points I found:
1. I would expact num_8 as speak current line, 1x num_5 as speak current
word and 2x num_5 in series spell current word.
2. maybe we need the position of the speech cursor on the braille
display. Something similar like the text prompt. This would make the
orientation a bit easier. But the challenge is to choose a visualisation
so that the user can't mix them. For example one cursor blinks and the
other not.
3. It would be cool if I could change the position of the speech cursor
with the routing keys of my braille display like I can do with the text
cursor in the editor.
4. I need a shortcut to get the speech cursor on the beginning or end of
a line.
5. When I hold a shortcut pressed, the action should be repeated. For
example holding num_+ and num_9 for a few seconds should cycle through
the text lines.
6. At the moment the situation in the text editor is not ideal. If I
move around the speech cursor the standard text cursor does not follow.
There are two possible solutions for that:
A. Create a shortcut to bring the text cursor to the speech one.
B. Speak words while I move the text cursor, so I don't need the speech
cursor in the editor.

Is there anything else I can do to help you?
Regards
Eric