[BRLTTY] Improving the speech support of brltty

Eric Scheibler email at eric-scheibler.de
Thu Apr 26 20:27:37 EDT 2012

Dave Mielke wrote:
> Please always feel free to do so. How else will it become better?

All right, then I will add further suggestions constantly, I've still
have some in my mind :-)

> What about adding a
> third key to the combination, like KP0, for having the word spelled?

Good idea. Then num_+ and num_5 speak the current word while num_+,
num_0 and num_5 spell it. And what about num_+ and num_8 speak the
current line while the shortcut num_+, num_0 and num_8 only speaks what
is currently shown on the braille display?

> In the latest code, routing the system cursor also moves the speech cursor.
> Perhaps this isn't good enough since the screen cursor can't go everywhere. I'm
> not sure what the best solution would be for this but I'll add it to the list.

Checked it out, is a good start. The routing keys should always move the
speech cursor and if possible the system cursor too.

> Do you mean the beginning/end of the screen line or of the part that's on the
> braille display?

Beginning and end of the screen line. This also could be handeled with
the num_0 key, for example num_+, num_0 and num_4 jump to the first char
on the current line.

> I have a hard time imagining how well that'd work with speech since speech
> response is ultimately rather slow. If the autorepeating is fast, how would you
> ever know where you are?

Hmm it's similar to the existing move-one-line-up/down function which I
can invoke by pressing capslock + uparrow/downarrow. Of course I can't
understand what's spoken but so i'am able to move more than a few lines
up/down quickly.

> In the latest code, KPPlus+KP0 brings the system cursor to the speech cursor.

Yes this is cool and works well. It would be even better if the system
cursor could follow the speech cursor automatically. But for this it
must be possible for you to test, if the system cursor can follow the
speech cursor to the current position. Not so easy I think.?

Is it possible for me to assign the new functions with different key
bindings at this time? I prefer the arrow keys, capslock, ctrl and maybe
shift. Especially the right ctrl key is nice to handle cause its very
near by the arrow keys.

Regards
Eric