[BRLTTY] Improving the speech support of brltty

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Mon Apr 30 14:44:20 EDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Eric Scheibler on 2012/04/30 at 19:29 +0200]
>
> >4. Sometimes brltty only speeks the difference between two lines. Example:
> >a test line
> >a second test line
> >If "a test line" is the last visible line for example in a text editor
> >and you move the cursor to the next line, brltty only speaks "second"
> >instead of "a second test line". If both lines are visible, it works.
> >You also can test it by reading the keytable text file line by line.
> >Could you fix this too?
>
> I understand the issue, but what to do about it is an entirely different
> matter. The "problem" is that brltty just looks at the screen so it has to
> guess a lot. It's on my list, though.

It is almost impossible to fix without saving more context lines around
the cursor area.  BRLTTY would have to "see" that some of the screen
content is scrolling up or down and treat the line content as a new line
even though the cursor position didn't change vertically.

The same code could allow for a mode where the braille window moves up
or down automatically to follow the scrolling screen content.  That
would be very handy when reading through an IRC session for example, and
new messages keep on appearing at the bottom.

Nicolas