[BRLTTY] A strange Unicode translation

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 1 15:18:11 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I have a book that contains the word "protege". The two e's are
accented. It's a lynx dump of an xml file, and in the lynx output
these e's show up as dots 1268 (hex E9). When I turn grade 2 on with
the built-in brltty translator they come out properly as dots
4-15. But when I translate it into grade 2 using the command:

brltty-ctb -rw40 -tbrf

each e comes out as the eight-character sequence:

comma
comma
grave
7
comma
7

That is:

,,`a7,c7

I think the problem lies in Tables/brf.ttb but since this file makes
no provision for a one -> two character translation I don't think this
can be fixed with this table. Attached is a file containing "protege"
in both untranslated and translated format.

Does this demonstrate the problem clearly enough and is a fix feasible
within present resources?

Thanks,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll