[BRLTTY] [SPAM] A strange Unicode translation

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jul 2 12:47:40 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2012/07/01 at 15:18 -0400]

>I have a book that contains the word "protege". The two e's are
>accented.

That'd be the word "protégé".

>It's a lynx dump of an xml file, and in the lynx output these e's show up as
>dots 1268 (hex E9).

Which is a lowercase e with an acute accent. Being as it's a French word, the
correct braille representation should be dots 123456 (with dot 8 added to show
that it's not English). That's what the en_CA text table does. You don't say
which table you're using, but I guess it wasn't designed with French support in
mind. Maybe that's the correct representation for a Spanish lowercase e with an
acute accent - I don't know Spanish braille.

>When I turn grade 2 on with the built-in brltty translator they come out
>properly as dots 4-15. But when I translate it into grade 2 using the command:
>
>brltty-ctb -rw40 -tbrf
>
>each e comes out as the eight-character sequence:
>
>comma
>comma
>grave
>7
>comma
>7
>
>That is:
>
>,,`a7,c7

I'm unable to reproduce this so far.

>I think the problem lies in Tables/brf.ttb but since this file makes
>no provision for a one -> two character translation I don't think this
>can be fixed with this table.

No, that's not possible. The text table is only used by brltty-ctb in order to
decide which character is to be writtten for each dot pattern.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html