[BRLTTY] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Need a little help

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jul 4 08:00:54 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Chris on 2012/07/04 at 05:00 +0200]

>i have no braille device here. its my laptop. i mostly use just speech,
>so my braille device is on my pc in my parents apartment.
>Orca reads to me in X ;). but i wanna configure the ttys to speak to
>me :).

You can use brltty without a braille device. To do this, you need to enable a
keyboard key table. Since you're using a laptop, you probably want to use the
laptop keyboard key table. You can enable it on the command line via the
-klaptop option, or you can enable it in brltty.conf via the key-table
directive, e.g.:

   key-table laptop

Once you have the laptop keyboard key table enabled, certain key combinations
on your laptop's keyboard will tell brltty to do things. You can read about all
of those key bindings at the same location I told you about earlier. Even
though the page is called "Drivers", it also lists the keyboard key tables. In
case you no longer have the instructions, start from brltty's home page:

   http://mielke.cc/brltty/

Click on "Documentation", and then on "Drivers". At the top of that page you'll
find a section with the heading "Keyboards". In that sectoin, you'll find the
laptop keyboard key table description by clicking on "Bindings for Keyboards
without a Keypad".

If you don't have braille, and if autospeak isn't yet enablec, you'll have
trouble using the preferences menu to do anything. That's not a problem,
though, as there's a direct key binding to do it. Here are a few key bindings
to get you started:

These commands switch the mode rltty is in:

   enter/leave help display: CapsLock+F1
   enter/leave command learn mode: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+F1

These commands control the Autospeak feature:

   set autospeak on/off: CapsLock+F9
   set autospeak deleted characters on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+M
   set autospeak replaced characters on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+Comma
   set autospeak inserted characters on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+Period
   set autospeak selected character on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+J
   set autospeak selected line on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+K
   set autospeak completed words on/off: CapsLock+ShiftLeft+ControlLeft+L

These commands are general speech controls:

   stop speaking: ControlLeft
   stop speaking: ControlRight
   decrease speech rate: CapsLock+F5
   increase speech rate: CapsLock+F6
   decrease speech volume: CapsLock+F7
   increase speech volume: CapsLock+F8

These commands speak only if Autospeak is enabled:

   speak current line: CapsLock+Space
   go up one line: CapsLock+ArrowUp
   go down one line: CapsLock+ArrowDown
   go to beginning of top line: CapsLock+Home
   go to beginning of bottom line: CapsLock+End

These commands always speak:

   go to and speak previous word: ShiftRight+ArrowLeft
   go to and speak next word: ShiftRight+ArrowRight
   go to and speak previous line: ShiftRight+ArrowUp
   go to and speak next line: ShiftRight+ArrowDown
   go to and speak first non-blank character on line: ControlRight+ArrowLeft
   go to and speak last non-blank character on line: ControlRight+ArrowRight
   go to and speak first non-blank line on screen: ControlRight+ArrowUp
   go to and speak last non-blank line on screen: ControlRight+ArrowDown
   bring cursor to speech location: ControlRight+ShiftRight
   speak speech location: ShiftRight+Enter

I just realized, after having put together this list, that the laptop key table
doesn't offer a way to save your setting changes. This'll be fixed.

Could you tell us which release of brltty you're using? What I've described
here is true for brltty-4.4. Some of it won't work - particularly, the last
group of commands - if you're using an earlier release.

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html