[BRLTTY] Braille protocols for new device

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Wed Jul 11 18:59:09 EDT 2012

Hello list,
I am sitting in Geneva with Samuel Thibault discussing the proper protocol
for a new open source Braille device I am making.  It is an opportunity to
define some sort of open protocol for Braille devices. We have some
questions about the best practices the frame details.

I was thinking that we would use something like PPP as an example at level 2
and start with a frame:

[FLAG(1 octet)|TYPE(1 octet)|SUBTYPE(1 octet)|INFORMATION|CRC(2 octets)|FLAG
(1 octet)]

I am wondering if we should DROP, AK, or NAK the frames when the checksum is
bad, and whether CRC is overkill.

Samuel has suggested that we diverge from PPP at least in the FLAGs as when
the same character is used for START and END flags it can cause
synchronization problems.

Also, should we include a LENGTH specifier?  Or should we simply end our
INFORMATION section with the reception of the END FLAG?

Thank you for your time,
Timothy and Samuel