[BRLTTY] RFC: Switching python bindings from pyrex to cython.

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 18 19:41:20 EDT 2012

Hi folks,
One of the goals of this Ubuntu development cycle is to move to python 3, for most, if not all python related packages on the main Ubuntu images. Of course, brltty's python bindings are affected. I've bene looking into whether pyrex has been updated for python 3, and so far it has not.

I did stumble over cython, which is at least somewhat source compatible with pyrex, and in fact has a lot more functionality. I haven't yet tried building any of brltty's pyrex code with cython yet, so I don't know how much work is required to change to cython, but since cython is much more maintained, and supports python 3, I think its worth discussing the move to cython.

I'll do some further digging and testing, and see whether much if any, work is needed to port to cython.

Thoughts welcome.

Luke