[BRLTTY] SPEAK*

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Fri Jun 1 08:44:04 EDT 2012

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> schrieb am 31.05.2012, 17:44 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2012/05/31 at 23:29 +0200]
>>I've noticed that there's a difference between LNUP and SPEAK_PREV_LINE (the
>>same for LNDN and SPEAK_NEXT_LINE). Is this necessary? Using SPEAK_*_LINE has
>>the disadvantage for me that even with autospeak set to no, BRLTTY starts
>>speaking when navigating on the screen.
>>The same is true for SPEAK_FRST_LINE and the opposite command, there are already
>>functions which do work great with the new speech capabilities and respect
>>autospeak.
>>
>>I of course don't think that the commands for speaking previous/next
>>character/word should be removed, but those mentioned above (they do not add new
>>functionality). Or am I overlooking something?
>>Anyway, would it make sense for all commands to respect the autospeak setting?
>
>Here's my reasoning for why we have what appear to be duplicate commands, and
>for why they don't honour the AUTOSPEAK setting:
>
>The new commands are specifically for speech navigation. As such, I believe
>they should speak. I don't see anything auto about them. Users who wish to
Could you add then a MUTE function? E. g. when a phone call comes in and I have
to type something, I'd like to switch off speech, but want to navigate as usual.

>There are no duplicate commands. The speech commands move the speech cursor.
>They don't move the braille display. As such, they actually offer additional
You are right. Then I would like to suggest, that SPEAK_FIRST_LINE and
SPEAK_LAST_LINE moves the speech cursor to the first character of the line, what
do you think?

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Blog (English | Deutsch): http://crustulus.de/blog
Teste das freie Latein-Deutsch-Wörterbuch: