[BRLTTY] Contraction errors and patch: Mailorder, bachelordom, chlordan

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 20:35:32 EST 2012

Hi folks,

Although mailorder is usually two words possibly connected by a
hyphen, it can appear as just one. Something I read somewhere said the
newest Oxford English Dictionary eliminates most hyphens, so
presumably mailorder may become more common in time. Anyway there's
one instance in my particular web-braille collection:

l>ge mailord} busi;s1 t ! ,*ri/mas

I don't have any examples of bachelordom but I'm confident lord should
not appear there.

Well I just found another one: dichlordiphenylethylene. Truly a
household word! From web-braille:

,7,,dde equals di*lordiph5yle?yl5e47'

Lord should also not be used in lordosis:

"l     "lly """  lordosis
e/+4 ,mild lumb> lordosis1 b{$ legs1

Presumably the same holds for lordotic though again I have no
examples.

Interesting stuff, eh?

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll