[BRLTTY] BRLTTY in GRUB2

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Mar 23 17:17:15 EDT 2012

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko, le Fri 23 Mar 2012 21:31:16 +0100, a écrit :
> >I don't think it's worth the pain: in normal conditions, brltty is
> >not supposed to exit.  Actually I can see use of exit() on brltty
> >--help/--version or option error (OT here), init emulation (OT), pid
> >conflict (OT),
> Could these ones be changed to return?

init emulation and pid conflict just don't make sense in grub.
--help/--version can make sense, so return would be fine.

> >  background error (OT),
> What is this?

It does not make sense in grub either, it's along the usual double-fork
used by brltty to detach from the starting shell.

> >  and no memory error.
> Is brltty able to recover from out-of-memory without exiting?

No.

> I think it should since if it exits the person would lose the console
> altogether and usually it's possible to continue with just a minor
> hiccup

Ideally it should, but in practice if the system has so low memory for
the extremely little use of brltty, it is unusable already anyway.

Samuel