[BRLTTY] BRLTTY in GRUB2

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 29 21:07:12 EDT 2012

[quoted lines by Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko on 2012/03/30 at 01:57 +0200]

>I've moved it in brl branch since I needed to add few .c into posix
>layer. Please use brl branch.
>http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/branches/brltty/

And "bzr update" with no arguments in the top-level directory to bring it
up-to-date?

>> Perhaps I can fake a reasonably accurate grub compile environment. I just need
>> to figure out how to tell gcc not to look in /usr/include.
>-ffreestanding -nostdlib -nostdinc

Thanks.

>> Brltty supports the ability (only on Linux, so far) to intercept keyboard key
>> events (press, release) and is able to bind keyboard key combinations to brltty
>> commands. Any key events which result in something that hasn't been bound to a
>> brltty command are passed through to the system for normal processing.
>I can hookup brltty as a "filter" into grub_getkey_noblock.

That might indeed be something to experiment with. Let's keep it in mind for
after the basics are all working.

Will there be a way for the user to specify brltty options? He could, of
course, do it via a brltty.conf file, which is normally expected to be in /etc.
/etc may not make sense in the grub environment. Brltty has a -f option to
explicitly specify its location, which grub could pass to brlttyConstruct().

>>> usb<number>,
>> What's the number here? Is it related to the bus number and/or the device
>> address, or is it something else?
>They are just sequential number. Do you need a more stable alias?

Well, it's about as unpredictable as ttyUSBn on Linux, so that's okay. As long
as usb_grub is working, brltty will be able to locate a USB device the way it
usually does.

>> Are these something like "port" followed by three hex digits?
>3 or 4 usually. They appear the moment you call grub_serial_find
>("portXXXX");

This makes them seem somehow different from com<n> devices. Wouldn't com<n>
devices appear just as immediately?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html