[BRLTTY] reading Japanese characters using BRLTTY

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Nov 13 22:50:21 EST 2012

[quoted lines by Florian-achtige on 2012/11/13 at 13:05 +0100]

>I currently am using brltty 4.2 and attempting to get it to read
>Japanese characters. I have tried setting the contraction table to
>japanese while leaving the text and attrib tables alone. I have
>six-dot mode enabled and Orca has contracted braille enabled. Yet I
>only see unicode numbers and no characters. What am I missing?

I believe that Orca does it's own braille translations, and that brltty's
settings don't impact what Orca does. This means that it'd be an Orca problem
if you aren't seeing correct Japanese braille within the X environment.

jonie: Am I correct on this?

To check if brltty has a problem with Japanese braille, could you please give
it a try within a text console?

Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | 2011 May 21 is the End of Salvation.
EMail: dave at mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | http://Mielke.cc/now.html