[BRLTTY] Trying to compile brltty on Mac OS Mountain Lion

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Tue Oct 9 16:54:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:04:44PM +0200, Anders Holmberg wrote:

> Hi!
> A question from me.
> Will brltty only work in the console on mac?
> I assume that but just wondering.
Yes, in fact, it requires screen (the terminal windowing/multiplexing
programme) because that's the only way it can know what's happening on
the screen.

> And how do i compile it for mac?
It's been a couple years since I had this setup, but you'll want a
working GNU environment with gcc et al: I used fink at the time, but I
believe there are other options such as macports. You need to apply a
patch to screen and build it, and build brltty as well, of course. It's
only slightly tricky, and works just the same as usual once everything's
in place. It makes the Mac terminal a LOT more pleasant to use, as
voiceover isn't very terminal friendly.

Cheers,
S.M.