[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Mon Oct 15 11:34:17 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 04:22:28AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by timothyhobbs at seznam.cz on 2012/10/14 at 16:32 +0200]
>
> >But at this point, why are we using C at all?  If we want good design and
> >maintainability at the price of performance then we should use a higher level
> >language.  Once you start repacking values into structs to make scoping more
> >obvious you lose the performance advantages of using a low level language.
> >And you still haven't gained the clean clarity of a high level one.
>
> I don't disagree with you in principle, but I do disagree with you in
> perspective.
>
> First of all, whoever said that performance is the issue? Would it shock you to
> hear me say that performance isn't the issue? Well ... it isn't.
>
> Do you think that brltty is just a fun toy which runs on high-level operating
> systems like Linux and Windows? Are you aware that it also runs on DOS, and
> that work is underway to enable it to run within the Grub bootr loader? There's
> no way that necessarily limited environments such as those would be able to
> adequately support the kinds of high-level languages which you have in mind.
>
> Are you aware that brltty isn't a university project? All of us who work on it
> do this as a strictly volunteer effort, and most of us have families, jobs,
> etc. Why would we waste our precious time rewriting something that works, just
> ecaause it's a theoretically good idea?
>
> Aside from being a pointless way to be spending our time, that kind of work
> would also come with the need for a great deal of retesting of code which is
> known to be reliable, as well as the need to retest with all of the various
> models of braille devices, each of which is extremely expensive and/or
> extremely difficult to gain free access to. Additionally, we'd no longer have
> any time to devote to useful work such as supporting more types of braille
> devices, more host platforms, etc.
Dave is 250% right. You can think of brltty as "production" software, in
its way as crucial to its community as the Linux kernel; people are
highly unlikely to rewrite or reinvent it for mere philosophical or
aesthetic reasons, nor even for a possible slight performance increase.
Not that my opinion matters in any respect on this discussion, but a
better understanding of this project and community probably would help
you gain insight for your project, as it seems to focus on human-machine
relationships, and all of us on this list very much rely on such a
relationship to lead more productive lives. :)

Just my penny's worth...

Cheers,
S.M.