[BRLTTY] Getting my braille driver for the FCHAD working.

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Mon Oct 15 17:36:46 EDT 2012

I must admit, that after reading your message I began to cry.  Human to
human interactions have never been my strong point, but my own emotion right
now is that of being belittled, attacked, and most of all surprised.  I have
spent almost two years now on this project.  Last summer met Samuel and Jean
-Philippe at RMLL.  They seemed friendly and nice.  When I joined this list
over a year ago, I was pleased by the quick and helpful responses I
received.

I have no idea what has gone wrong.  I am only trying to help blind people
(and myself) by creating a cheep open source hardware alternative to the
expensive brailled displays on the market today.  Let us remember the
optimism and good faith upon which open source is founded.  The entire idea
(to me at least) is that by being generous, by sharing, and working
together, we can achieve things that we wouldn't have achieved through a
greed driven model.  To me, the entirety of open source is about freedom and
human goodness.  I trust code because it's open source.  Not only because I
know I can look inside it, but because I believe that the person who wrote
it wrote it, and made it open source, in a good faith effort to better
humanity.

The fact that we have managed to go from a single global variable
declaration to accusations of rebellion is, at the face of it, actually
rather funny ;) It's the kind of thing that one should only see in black
comedy.

I am now seeing my logMessages.  So I can now happily inform you that no
more printf statements will appear in my code!  I have also gotten rid of
the use of thisBrl as a global variable.  I now pass it along through the
even handling system bundled in a struct as I had described.

The event handler itself is not very complicated. It is just 17 lines of
code!  I get away with so little code, because my event handlers are stored
in a static array.  Any truly generic, general purpose, full blown, event
handler could not get away with this.  I can make assumptions, like that
there will never be more than a certain constant number of handlers for each
event, that simply wouldn't fly with the more complex event systems like the
one in glib.

I didn't mean to attack your use of C.  I was just trying to point out that
there is often such a trade off between cleanness of the code and
performance.  In a inconsiderably small degree, the code I had before the
change I just made was more preformant than it is now, both in terms of time
and memory usage.  I know thinking about the individual bytes is rather
silly at this level, but given that I'm simultaneously writing firmware for
the device which must run on the atmega, I have those bytes in my mind a bit
more than is typical.

Looking at the code for io_generic.c , I see that as you said:

if(LOG_CATEGORY_FLAG(GENERIC_INPUT)) {
            logBytes(categoryLogLevel, "generic input", &endpoint->input.
buffer[endpoint->input.to], result);
}

How do I set the LOG_CATEGORY_FLAG to include GENERIC_INPUT?

Thank you,

Timothy