[BRLTTY] turning your computer into a TTY

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Aug 11 19:13:16 EDT 2013

Rob Hudson <captinlogic at gmail.com> wrote:

> This thing is over six grand, so I just wondered about alternatives.

As I remember, at least in this part of the world, relay services use Baudot
rather than ASCII character encoding. I don't know whether there is software
under Linux that can emulate this, given a phone line and suitable hardware. I
would suggest finding out what the relay service supports; there may be more
technologically advanced options available.

This article looks interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_device_for_the_deaf

The ideal here would be a computer, a braille display, a modem and appropriate
software.