[BRLTTY] introduction and a quick question

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Dec 15 00:33:04 EST 2013

Doug Smith <savant-technopath at cyber-wizard.com> wrote:

> I wish to have a braille input system for my command line debian testing system.  I prefer the command line to the gui environment and use it as much
> as possible.  What I want to know is does brltty have a braille keyboard interface using 6 or 8 dots on the regular keyboard rather than having to
> wait until I get a braille display?  Can I run all my commands just as I do when standard keyboarding?

Your keyboard needs to support roll-over, which some apparently do not.
There's at least one hardware-based braille keyboard available, from
Papenmeier as I recall; but I think you should devote all of your available
budget to obtaining a good braille display.

Before I bought my first display in the mid 90s, I didn't think I'd be able to
afford it, but I applied for scholarship funding (then as an undergraduate
student), applied to a couple of other funding sources that offered support
for students with specific needs, and thus managed to bring the price down
sufficiently to make a purchase. It was well worth the fund raising effort.