[BRLTTY] HumanWare Brailliant, connection issues?

Kazunori Minatani minatani at debian.or.jp
Sat Jul 6 06:15:04 EDT 2013

 Hi, Mario.

> Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 14:53:52 +0200
> From: Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org>
> Subject: Re: [BRLTTY] HumanWare Brailliant, connection issues?
>
> Kazunori Minatani <minatani at debian.or.jp> writes:
>
> > I Had tested Brailliant BI40 (firmware version was 1.7) with Debian Wheezy's BRLTTY (4.4 r5477).
> > With USB connection, it was recognized as a USB <-> serial converter.
> > Then executing BRLTTY with -d serial:ttyACM0, it was acted as a BRLTTY's braille display.
> > My experience may be a different kind of problem.
>
> Did it actually work for you?
> If not, you can try "-d usb:", BRLTTY should be able to talk to the
> HumanWare chip directly via USB.

Unfortunately, I had only tested Brailliant shortly, and it is not here now.
Of course, I had also executed BRLTTY using Debian's ordinary way "/etc/init.d/brltty start".
I think "/etc/init.d/brltty start" is functioned as an equivalent of "-d usb:".

In spite of "idVendor=1c71, idProduct=c005" is recorded in BRLTTY's Humanware driver source as its id,
Linux kernel recognizes a Brailliant as an USB modem then load cdc_acm.ko module.
I don't know USB device recognition mechanism deeply.

Regards,