[BRLTTY] Running BRLTTY on Raspberry-Pi

Christopher Emery cpe.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:43:55 EDT 2013

Hello Sebastian

Please take note, your statements start with SH and mine start with CE.

SH: Yes, what exactly do you want to know?
CE: Thank for the answer that was exactly what I need to know.

SH: Just install the package:
# apt-get install brltty
(and maybe brltty-espeak).
CE: Thank you, I will do so.  I look forward to trying a later version
once it becomes availible in the repo.  I don't know how to build from
source and its way over my head, right now I would like to get a
little accessibility options on the R-Pi.  Also to build on the R-Pi
would be very very very slow (smile)

SH: Regarding the eSpeak driver, it's not really usable. ... This
results in every key appearing twice or tree-times.  But you can try
speech dispatcher or a newer version of BRLTTY from source.
CE: That stinks, it would be nice if things would just work but that
would no be as fun (smile)  See above remark about building from
source.  I look forward to BRLTTY speech working in near future.  Do
you know if it will be arm chip 6 ready when its finish as deb
package)?  I don't know how far behind the debian and pi foundation
are with package building.

SH: Which problems do you experience? How far have you worked on the
system, e. g. have you activated the on-board ssh server?
CE: Right now I have not had any problems, I have got it setup to run
through both SSH and XRDP,  I would like to get ANY speech output to
happen (smile)

Thank for your feedback and advise!

Sincerely in Christ,
Christopher