[BRLTTY] something odd on new debian install

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Tue May 7 08:06:20 EDT 2013

Running a fresh install of Debian Weezle, or whatever it's called, with brlty 4.5.

When in a Screen session, sometimes a vertical bar symbol appears on the braille display. I have no idea how to pin it down, because it just pops up randomly. I'll be scrolling through an irssi window, and to the right of the text being read, that bar pops up. Or i'll activate mplayer and you'll see the blinking cursor and toward the middle of the display there's that damn vertical bar.

I can't read it with speech either; it only shows up on the display. What the heck might be happening?