[BRLTTY] qemu and braille output

Elias Oltmanns eo at nebensachen.de
Tue Oct 22 08:35:44 EDT 2013

Hi there,

on a GNU/Linux box, I'm running Windows 7 in a VM by means of qemu-kvm.
More specifically, the host is running orca and brltty when I start
qemu-system-i386 from within a gnome terminal. On the VM I have set up
NVDA as a screen reader which is working fine as far as speech is
concerned. Unfortunately, I cannot quite figure out how to get braille
working, though. Giving the option

-usbdevice braille

on the qemu command line makes a device named “QEMU USB BRAILLE” appear
in the Windows device manager. Howeverr, there is no driver installed
for this device and I don't know where to get it either.

When choosing BRLTTY as the output device in the braille settings dialog
of NVDA, I'm told that no connection to the braille device can be
established. Also, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether orca
on the host system is configured to provide braille output or not.

How can I pass NVDA's braille output through to the device connected to
the host system? And is it at all possible to make all components
cooperate in such a way that I can switch seamlessly between the VM and
the host system without losing braille output?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Elias