[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 1 22:43:42 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Dave Mielke on 2014/08/01 at 21:20 -0400]

>The problem occurs if you happen to be holding down the shift key when brltty
>starts. More specifically, it happens if you're holding down the shfit key
>when, shortly after brltty starts, it begins to monitor the keyboard. The same
>is true, by the way, if you're holding down some other modifier (like the
>control key) at that moment. So, to avoid the problem, ensure that you aren't
>doing any typing until brltty has started. It's just a guess, but it could be,
>for example, due to your two-second sleep between the kill and the restart,
>that you were already typing ahead to save some time.

I've also figured out a way, at least here, to cure the problem. I can't
promise that it'll work on any other system, but it'd be worth a try. What
works for me is to press and release the shift key that's stuck, and then press
and release either of the Windows keys. If you're not sure which shift key is
stuck, then just try this two key sequence twice, i.e. once with one of the
shift keys and then once with the other.