[BRLTTY] Let's improve documentation for the non blind

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Dec 29 09:00:55 EST 2014

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Dr. Volker Jaenisch on 2014/12/29 at 00:55 +0100]
>
>>*There is no wheel at this device at all*. There are two rockers
>>(Up/down) together with a pushbutton (Press) left and right at the top
>>that have take over the function of the former wheel of older versions.
>
> This is something that I didn't know, and that no one has ever brought to my
> attention before now. We do have focus 14 users, but I guess they either don't
> need to refer to the bindings documentation much or they've just been making
> that transformation intuitively and didn't think they should bother us about
> it.

At least for me, the second option applies.  I've seen this in the past,
but not bothered to make the necessary changes, since, after all, it is
just a naming thing.  It is rather hard to stay on top of key naming,
since manufacturers tend to change their naming scheme with new devices,
while our drivers tend to treat all devices from a certain manufacturer
as uniformly as possible.  While we have the infrastructure in place to
name identical keycodes from different models in a different way, we don't
always use that.

There is another (to me) well-known instance of this problem: The Handy
Tech dot key naming scheme has apparently recently changed.  They used
to number the dot keys from left to right, so dot 7 would be B1, dot 3
would be B2, ... and dot 8 would be B8.  I never liked this extremely
confusing naming scheme.  And they have, as said, recently changed it
with some of their devices.  So now, dot keys are actually numbered
according to the braille dot number.  I haven't figured out with which
devices this started, but it would be another instance of a naming
scheme that does not exactly match the manufacturer documentation.
OTOH, for a user that uses an older model and a newer model of the same
manufacturer (that would apply to me, actually), fixing the naming
scheme will actually be confusing again, since to you as a user, both
devices have the same type of dot keys, but now, you need to *remember*
which device has which naming scheme.  So given that, another option to
resolve the Handy Tech dot naming issue, would be to drop the confusing
naming scheme altogether and name all dot keys across all models
uniformly.  This would be, in my opinion, the most convenient option for
the end-users, but it again doesn't really adhere to the stated goal of
having the naming scheme match manufacturer documentation and/or
physical reality.

> The fact is, though, that we really do want our key names to reflect what's
> actually on the devices. This Focus 14 issue will need to be corrected. Are the
> two press buttons immediately behind their respective rockers?

They are immediately below the rockers, if you look at the device in
landscape mode lying in front of you on a table.  Note, however, that
"below" might be a rather confusing term, since the way the Focus 14 is
usually used, is that it hangs from a necklace in front of you.  So
"below" becomes a relative term in this situation, because it would now
actually be "above" the rockers.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕