[BRLTTY] GitHub & accessibility

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Jul 5 12:37:40 EDT 2014

Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> I'm wondering how accessible you guys find GitHub.
> Personnally, I use it rather intensively but as soon as I have to visit
> the website things become more difficult. There is the hub command-line
> tool that allows one to do a few things, but i still get the impression
> that not all the things that can be don through the website can be done
> in another way, and I don't feel the web site is very accessible.
>
> Any comment on this wold be warmly appreciated.

hub is already a good start.  As you noticed, it does not offer an
interface to every feature on GitHub.  In some cases, it is rather easy
to implement new hub subcommands, if you read the GitHub API
documentation, see [1] for a very simple example.

For the rest, I actually managed to generate a bit of interest with
GitHub staff when I posted this[2] blog article a few months ago.  The
result of our exchange was, that they are willing to fix (some)
accessibility problems you might find when using the GitHub website with
a simple browser like Lynx.  Just write to support at github.com, making
the fact that you are talking about an accessibility issue somehow
prominent in the subject/message.  They have fixed at least two issues I
reported to them over time.

[1] http://blind.guru/github-hub-social.html
[2] http://blind.guru/contributing-on-github.html

--