[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 14:34:02 EDT 2014

Hello,

after a start of BRLTTY, no matter whether after a reboot or during a normal
user session, there is a chance that some keys are "pinned". Every letter
becomes a key stroke. Most often, all letters are capitalized, as if shift would
be pressed the whole time. This happens even so my caps_lock is deactivated
(replaced through escape in the key map).
In the problematic situation, I can neither change to another tty nor can I get
rid of the activated caps_lock. I can restart BRLTTY, because my shell corrects
capitalized commands to lower-case and I have an alias to stop BRLTTY, but the
issue remains. I have to restart the machine.
This behavior occurs from time to time when switching the language, where I
currently have to restart BRLTTY to load an alternate configuration.

Less often, I have similar problems after a system boot up. Every key press
seems to be accompanied by a press of the control key, at least
getty seems to behave like this. Changing to another tty is again not possible.
In this case the reboot is the only solution. Killing BRLTTY via ssh and
restarting it didn't work in v4.5, but I would need to confirm that.
In very rare cases, I also cannot log in because all numbers are replaced by
their equivalent (when the shift key is pressed).

I see no way how I could I reproduce this problem reliably, but I know that this
problem only occurs when the laptop key table is loaded.

Since this problem occurs randomly, I am not sure how to produce useful
debugging information. I can only tell that I have the problem with the version
5.1 and with 4.5. I at least believe that the behavior is less often in version
4.5, but this information might be misleading, because this version runs on
another machine and things might be diffrent there.
Can I somehow provide more useful information so that this bug could be fixed?

Thank you in advance
Sebastian

--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0