[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jul 11 18:06:21 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/07/10 at 20:34 +0200]

>after a start of BRLTTY, no matter whether after a reboot or during a normal
>user session, there is a chance that some keys are "pinned". Every letter
>becomes a key stroke. Most often, all letters are capitalized, as if shift would
>be pressed the whole time. This happens even so my caps_lock is deactivated
>(replaced through escape in the key map).
>In the problematic situation, I can neither change to another tty nor can I get
>rid of the activated caps_lock. I can restart BRLTTY, because my shell corrects
>capitalized commands to lower-case and I have an alias to stop BRLTTY, but the
>issue remains. I have to restart the machine.
>This behavior occurs from time to time when switching the language, where I
>currently have to restart BRLTTY to load an alternate configuration.

Are you saying that it's the switching of the language that causes the problem?

Are you saying that pressing caps lock - which you've redefined to be escape
and expect to be escape - is still acting as caps lock, or are you saying that
caps lock seems to just go on for no obvious reason?

What you're describing is very odd since there's ultimately no difference
between the handling of keyboard events and the handling of braille device key
events. So far, I'm not coming up with a possible cause. Could you please check
to see if it happens when speech is off?