[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sun Jul 13 06:20:38 EDT 2014

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke schrieb am 11.07.2014, 18:06 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2014/07/10 at 20:34 +0200]
>
>>after a start of BRLTTY, no matter whether after a reboot or during a normal
>>user session, there is a chance that some keys are "pinned". Every letter
>>becomes a key stroke. Most often, all letters are capitalized, as if shift would
>>be pressed the whole time. This happens even so my caps_lock is deactivated
>>(replaced through escape in the key map).
>>In the problematic situation, I can neither change to another tty nor can I get
>>rid of the activated caps_lock. I can restart BRLTTY, because my shell corrects
>>capitalized commands to lower-case and I have an alias to stop BRLTTY, but the
>>issue remains. I have to restart the machine.
>>This behavior occurs from time to time when switching the language, where I
>>currently have to restart BRLTTY to load an alternate configuration.
>
>Are you saying that it's the switching of the language that causes the problem?
No, it is the restart of BRLTTY.

>Are you saying that pressing caps lock - which you've redefined to be escape
>and expect to be escape - is still acting as caps lock, or are you saying that
>caps lock seems to just go on for no obvious reason?
In a way the latter: Caps lock is suddenly activated and cannot be deactivated:

1.  Before logging in, caps lock  is still caps lock, this is changed when
    logging in. In very rare cases, all numbers occur as if I had pressed them
    with a shift key. All letters are still lower case, but the numbers are
    gone. Neither with or without shift brings them back, I get only the special
    characters. Pressing caps lock doesn't change that either.
2.  When logged in, caps lock is replaced through escape, since caps lock is a
    key I don't like. BRLTTY works with this redefined key nevertheless. When I
    restart BRLTTY for whatever reason, it happens (again rarely), that caps
    lock is activated, I cannot switch TTY's and the key cannot be deactivated.

>What you're describing is very odd since there's ultimately no difference
>between the handling of keyboard events and the handling of braille device key
>events.
Is there no difference between retrieving keyboard key presses from the kernel
and receiving device key presses? Maybe it's a bug elsewhere?

>So far, I'm not coming up with a possible cause. Could you please check
>to see if it happens when speech is off?
The only thing I can confirm for sure is that it worked until key-tables were
introduced; before that I worked with speech and braille keys to navigate and
this problem didn't occur.

Would it be enough to turn auto-speak off or should I disable the eSpeak driver
in general?

Thank you
Sebastian
--