[BRLTTY] BRLTTY with keytable enabled sometimes locks keys

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sun Jul 13 16:41:37 EDT 2014

Hello Nicolas,

Nicolas Pitre schrieb am 13.07.2014, 14:49 -0400:
>On Sun, 13 Jul 2014, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
>
>> Dave Mielke schrieb am 11.07.2014, 18:06 -0400:
>>
>> >Are you saying that pressing caps lock - which you've redefined to be escape
>> >and expect to be escape - is still acting as caps lock, or are you saying that
>> >caps lock seems to just go on for no obvious reason?
>> In a way the latter: Caps lock is suddenly activated and cannot be deactivated:
>>
>> 1.  Before logging in, caps lock  is still caps lock, this is changed when
>>     logging in. In very rare cases, all numbers occur as if I had pressed them
>>     with a shift key. All letters are still lower case, but the numbers are
>>     gone. Neither with or without shift brings them back, I get only the special
>>     characters. Pressing caps lock doesn't change that either.
>> 2.  When logged in, caps lock is replaced through escape, since caps lock is a
>>     key I don't like. BRLTTY works with this redefined key nevertheless. When I
>>     restart BRLTTY for whatever reason, it happens (again rarely), that caps
>>     lock is activated, I cannot switch TTY's and the key cannot be deactivated.
>>
>> >What you're describing is very odd since there's ultimately no difference
>> >between the handling of keyboard events and the handling of braille device key
>> >events.
>> Is there no difference between retrieving keyboard key presses from the kernel
>> and receiving device key presses? Maybe it's a bug elsewhere?
>
>It happened to me very rarely that a braille key press is never
>released, or more likely that the release event was lost.  This is
>always on my laptop and not on my faster desctop PC. And only when
>connected over USB.
>
>On that laptop I don't use keyboard keymaps because normal key presses
>will get into auto-repeat mode occasionally even if I don't hold them
>down. This manifests itself as some repeated characters when typing
>which is very annoying.  I suppose this is due to the key release event
>not forwarded back quickly enough in those cases e.g. before the
>auto-repeat delay managed by the kernel expires.
>
>At least on this laptop, keyboard key management appears more
>difficult than device key management.
I can confirm that for my old (not anymore existing and very slow) laptop and
for the (also quite slow) Raspberry Pi. I experienced quite often repeated
characters which made working very impossible. I also turned off the key table in
this case.

I have a similar issue on one laptop with a Pacmate braille display using the
braille navigation keys, but I believe there that this is due to incorrectly
working hardware, because a reconnect of the isplay resolves the issue.

Sebastian
--
Web: http://www.crustulus.de | Blog: http://www.crustulus.de/cgi-bin/blog.cgi?de-0
Freies Latein-Deutsch-Wörterbuch: http://www.crustulus.de/freedict.de.html