[BRLTTY] Braille display model recommendation

acollins at icsmail.net acollins at icsmail.net
Fri Jul 18 12:03:40 EDT 2014

Hi.  Have you considered buying the Audio Feature Pack for your Alva
BC640?  This adds a Braille keyboard to your display, internal usb
storage for files, which can be read and edited, while away from your
computer.  In addition, the display can be split between your computer
and mobile phone.  In addition, the bc640 can be connected either via
usb or bluetooth.

It does widen the bc640, and because of the Braille keyboard, it is not
possible for the display to fit under your computer keyboard, but the
Braille keyboard, internal usb storage, and split display capabilities
do greatly enhance the usefulness of the bc640.

It's not difficult to attach to your display.  It just fits up against
the rear edge of the display, which has an edge connector the the
feature pack attaches to.  Then there are two allenscreews, one on each
end which must be screwed in.

One more thing.  The feature pack also adds an extra battery, which
extends the battery life of the bc640 to over 30 hours.

Gene