[BRLTTY] Braille display model recommendation

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Jul 18 19:55:24 EDT 2014

Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon at videotron.ca> wrote:

> The one I have now is the old Brailliant model. The navigation keys keep
> failing and it's becoming problematic to have them repaired.

Have you contacted Baum about this? They are the original manufacturer.

> I also use an Alva BC 640. That might be my default choice.
>
> I want a 40cell display, primarily for desk work. Bluetooth would be nice.

Most of them have Bluetooth now.
> I've previously felt that having a Braille keyboard on a Braille display
> wasn't all that useful and only served to add distance between the Braille
> cells and regular QWERTY keyboard. I still feel that way sort of, except I'm
> beginning to miss the Braille keyboard option for use with mobile devices,
> so I'm ambivalent.

I'm in a similar position: I really need a braille keyboard for use with
tablets and phones. Like you, I have a Baum SuperVario 40 (also known as
Humanware Brailliant - the old model). It's a superb display that continues to
serve well. Nevertheless, the need for a braille keyboard will probably
motivate a new display at some point.

The new HumanWare Brailliant BI devices are manufactured by HumanWare
themselves; they are not rebranded Baum displays as were the older models.
I've been shown one of the new HumanWare Brailliant BI displays in
demonstration and was quite impressed.

Baum are about to release a new device, the Vario Ultra, which comes with text
editing and note taking features and 16GB flash  in addition to a braille
keyboard and a 40-cell display. I note that they claim Linux support; it isn't
clear whether that means the existing BRLTTY Baum driver will work or whether
changes will be needed and they're just anticipating that Dave will oblige.

In any case, the announcement is here:
http://pamtrad.co.uk/announcing-baum-varioultra-20-40/
and further details here:
http://www.baumusa.com/braille-solutions/varioultra.html
with a price just under US $3400 (I wasn't able to find prices in other
currencies).

HIMS also have a 40-cell display now. I've encountered a few people who are
interested in their note taking products, but I haven't heard or read much
comment on their displays.

Alva products have always earned a strong reputation, so as Mario said, it's
ultimately an individualized decision.