[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android

Henk Abma henk.abma at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 17:52:07 EST 2014

Hello,

since this is my first message here, here is a short introduction:

I have been using brltty over the last 10 years or so on several linux
machines with Gentoo and ubuntu distributions. Only over the last 6
months or so, I have begun to explore more of the options of brltty,
e.g. by using the braille display as the only communications device (no
keyboard any more).

Lately I've tried brltty on Android, especially on a nexus 4 and it
worked quite well. I particularly liked the fact that you can navigate
the screen without talkback talking all the time.

Now my question: I am trying brltty on a Nexus 5 and am having no luck
getting it connected or even set up. As soon as I press 'select
device'and try to check my display (Freedom scientific focus 40 blue
classic), brltty stops and the checkbox remains unchecked.

I have tried removing all braille displays and repairing the Focus,
uninstalled brltty and re-installed, however the issue remains.

This is with brltty-5.0.apk.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for any help and of course for brltty itself, without which linux
would be unuseable for me.

With kind regards,

Henk.