[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android

Henk Abma henk.abma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:00:31 EST 2014

Dave Mielke schreef op 3/5/2014 6:13 PM:
> [quoted lines by Henk Abma on 2014/03/05 at 14:10 +0100]
>
>> 1. tunr on fthe F40-new.
>> 2. unlock phone (brltty started correctly)
>> 3. Goto brltty->settings->manage devices->remove device, so I could
>> recreate it and log the connection.
>> 4. When the device was removed, BRLTTY kept displaying info on the
>> display, something I didn't expect.
> removing the currently selected device doesn't tell brltty to stop using it. If
> it would then it'd mean instant loss of the screen for a braille user. Perhaps
> it should raise an error and not allow the currently selected device to be
> removed. let me know what you think.

> With the current interface, you can only remove the current device. If no device is selected, the remove button is disabled, so as far as I know, the only way to remove a device from the list is by first selecting it as the braille device to use. In most cases I don't expect people to have multiple devices attached. The simplest solution seems to disable device removal when brltty is active.

> 5. turn brltty off on is main screen.
> 6. recreate the device and try to make it the default (brltty stopped
> messages started to appear)
> Where did the messages start to appear? On the braille device?

No, messages appear on the phone screen and you need to press OK to
abandon them.

> What I see in the logs you sent yesterday seems to show that the "brltty has
> stopped" condition is occurring when brltty is supposed to be actually
> stopping. This'd occur shortly after a reinstall (the old one is stopped and
> the new one is started), as well as when explicitly stopping it from the
> accessibility screen. Does this match what you're seeing? If so, what it
> actually means is that brltty isn't stopping cleanly.

The messages occur when I try to select a braille device, or speech
method. The moment I press the device name, brltty halts and the message
appears. Also the setting isn't changed, so speech remains set to native
and the braille display stays set to 'no device',
>> 7. Several useless attempts in which brltty always stopped.
> Attempts doing what? Reinstalling brltty?

> Attempts trying to set my braille device as the new display.

>> 8. Completely reboot the phone. (brltty no longer stopped, however
>> there was no braille either)
> It's hard to know why without a log.
>

>> 9. Remove all devices from the bluetooth screen and pair the F40-new again.
> This wouldn't be a brltty problem. I've found that the Android Bluetooth
> pairing procedure can be a bit unintuitive for a blind user, although I forget
> why, at the moment, since I haven't done it for a while. As I kind of recall,
> though, it's timeout is a bit short (since a blind user has to either navigate
> to the screen element containing the random PIN or slowly type on the awkward
> on-screen keyboard), and then not realize that there's a Done button at the
> bottom of the screen that needs to be clicked.

I am familiar with the way Android handles bluetooth, so normally I
don't have problems pairing things. My Android phone has been my main
phone for about a year now, so even the keyboard is quite useable to me.
The reason I decided to unpair all devices was I remembered someone
saying that brltty had trouble if the braille device wasn't the first
device found.

>> 10. No luck, so reboot the phone again.
>> 11. brltty started giving me (cannot connect to 'focus 40 bt'
>> messages with pairing requests from the display.
> I don't understand. A pairing request would mean that the braille device isn't
> paired yet. And, if it isn't paired yet, I don't see how it could be displaying

messages from the system.

> These messages were spoken by talkback, not shown on the display. I agree something went wrong during pairing.

>> 12. Turn brltty off and entered the 0000 code again.
>> 13. Turn brltty on and it instantly started doing what it should do...
> At this point, is the driver set to autodetect or to Freedom Scientific?

Auto-detect. Don't know why this suddenly worked.

With kind regards,

Henk.