[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Android

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Mar 5 12:13:53 EST 2014

[quoted lines by Henk Abma on 2014/03/05 at 14:10 +0100]

>1. tunr on fthe F40-new.
>2. unlock phone (brltty started correctly)
>3. Goto brltty->settings->manage devices->remove device, so I could
>recreate it and log the connection.
>4. When the device was removed, BRLTTY kept displaying info on the
>display, something I didn't expect.

removing the currently selected device doesn't tell brltty to stop using it. If
it would then it'd mean instant loss of the screen for a braille user. Perhaps
it should raise an error and not allow the currently selected device to be
removed. let me know what you think.

>5. turn brltty off on is main screen.
>6. recreate the device and try to make it the default (brltty stopped
>messages started to appear)

Where did the messages start to appear? On the braille device?

What I see in the logs you sent yesterday seems to show that the "brltty has
stopped" condition is occurring when brltty is supposed to be actually
stopping. This'd occur shortly after a reinstall (the old one is stopped and
the new one is started), as well as when explicitly stopping it from the
accessibility screen. Does this match what you're seeing? If so, what it
actually means is that brltty isn't stopping cleanly.

>7. Several useless attempts in which brltty always stopped.

Attempts doing what? Reinstalling brltty?

>8. Completely reboot the phone. (brltty no longer stopped, however
>there was no braille either)

It's hard to know why without a log.

>9. Remove all devices from the bluetooth screen and pair the F40-new again.

This wouldn't be a brltty problem. I've found that the Android Bluetooth
pairing procedure can be a bit unintuitive for a blind user, although I forget
why, at the moment, since I haven't done it for a while. As I kind of recall,
though, it's timeout is a bit short (since a blind user has to either navigate
to the screen element containing the random PIN or slowly type on the awkward
on-screen keyboard), and then not realize that there's a Done button at the
bottom of the screen that needs to be clicked.

>10. No luck, so reboot the phone again.
>11. brltty started giving me (cannot connect to 'focus 40 bt'
>messages with pairing requests from the display.

I don't understand. A pairing request would mean that the braille device isn't
paired yet. And, if it isn't paired yet, I don't see how it could be displaying
messages from the system.

>12. Turn brltty off and entered the 0000 code again.
>13. Turn brltty on and it instantly started doing what it should do...

At this point, is the driver set to autodetect or to Freedom Scientific?