[BRLTTY] brltty speech

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Mar 29 21:56:42 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by mattias on 2014/03/29 at 22:41 +0100]

>I now tryed brltty with talkback disabled
>And what can i say...
>Firefox: no way

Web browsers use what Android calls web views. Android's accessibility
framework doesn't work with those. Even TalkBack doesn't work when you're in a
web view. The reason you hear words spoken when you're in a web view is because
ChromeVOX is handling it. That's my understanding, anyway.

>Speech: yes but only mnu items
>E.g you select a menu item

Brltty's main purpose is to support braille devices. It's normal operation,
therefore, is to not speak. To get it to speak, you must either use a function
which specifically rfequests speech or you must turn on whichever speech
options you'd like to be using. All of these optoons can be found within the
Speech Options submenu of the Preferences Menu.