[BRLTTY] Newbie questions to help me make a Slint installer blind friendly.

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Thu Nov 20 13:02:44 EST 2014

Thanks Samuel for your answer.

On 20/11/2014 17:05, Samuel Thibault wrote:
 > Dave Mielke, le Thu 20 Nov 2014 10:38:31 -0500, a écrit :
 >>> 2. Can brltty be used in a framebuffer?
 >>
 >> I should know the ansswer to this question, but I don't. No one is
reporting
 >> any problems with this, so maybe it can.
 >
 > It can, but only when not using a userland console drawer such as bterm,
 > fbterm, etc.
Too bad, in the Slint installer we do use fbterm... No big deal, we have
just to write "fbt=n" in the command line if we don't want to use it.

<off topic>I am a bit worried as fbterm is abandonware and I found some
cases where it fails, either because of a "bad" frambuffer (but we check
that and fall back then to using bitmap fonts) or because it tries to use
the vesa backend but for some reason (e.g. unability to find the top left
corner of the screen to begin writing) it fails.

That's not a big issue for alphabetic languages but is a show stopper for
e.g. Chinese thats needs a lot of glyphs. Anyone knows an alternative to
fbterm, or volunteer to take over its maintainance or fork it?</off topic>

 > Didier, will you be at FOSDEM in february?  I plan on givting a talk
 > about this kind of things.
No. I can hardly convince my wife that it wouldn't be an useful expenditure
and wouldn't understand much anyway as I'm not a developer...

By the way I just discovered this paper that you wrote:
http://dept-info.labri.fr/~thibault/a.html
and probably wrongly wrote in my answer to Dave as the keyboard driver
outputs keycodes, not scancodes? Very interesting paper anyway, I will
read it closely.

Oh, and one of my sons studied at the ENS. But in Cachan, not Lyon.

Best regards,
Didier