[BRLTTY] Unicode mathematical symbols

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Oct 16 12:03:16 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Sébastien Hinderer on 2014/10/16 at 09:36 +0200]

>I'm wondering whether work has already been done in brltty to represent
>Unicode mathematical symbols in braille.

We have a contraction table named latex-access which does at least some of
that. It reads math written in LaTeX, and translates it into braille. It needs
to be used in conjunction with the latex-access package. If you look at it,
you'll see that it's actually code. It's marked as executable, so brltty runs
it rather than just looks things up in it.

>Are there already widely accepted braille representations for such
>symbols?
>If not, shouldn't we try to come up with something?

I have no idea how braille math is taught in other countries. Here in North
America, the best way of representing math in braille that I myself am aware of
is what's known as the Nemeth Code.

>Is it allowed for a Unicode symbol to be represented by moe than one
>baille character and ifos, is it suitable to do that for mathematical
>symbols?

I doubt there's any such formal rule, and can't think of any good reason not to
use multi-cell representations.