[BRLTTY] Compiling a statically linked binary

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Fri Oct 31 13:04:59 EDT 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by S. Massy on 2014/10/31 at 11:29 -0400]
>
> >It might still be appropriate to flash a warning message on the display
> >and/or in the logs when no bindings are available.
>
> That's a good idea - thanks.
>
> What are your thoughts regarding adding a bunch of code to support built-in key
> tables versus a full installation on a USB stick?
>
> One of the problems with built-in key tables is that one driver may require
> more than one key table, i.e. a different key table for each model that the
> driver supports. It'd probably become very error prone to have the user, rather
> than the driver, decide which of them to use.

I think it is probably time to give up on the idea of a statically
linked binary.  So many things are split into separate files for good
reasons: drivers, config files, braille tables, key bindings, help
screens, etc.  So the idea of an autonomous single binary doesn't work
well anymore.

It might be better to create a script to make it easy to install BRLTTY
on any medium instead.

Nicolas