[BRLTTY] Compiling a statically linked binary

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 31 13:18:52 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2014/10/31 at 13:04 -0400]

>I think it is probably time to give up on the idea of a statically
>linked binary.  So many things are split into separate files for good
>reasons: drivers, config files, braille tables, key bindings, help
>screens, etc.  So the idea of an autonomous single binary doesn't work
>well anymore.

Yes, although the idea of the executable itself being statically linked is, I
think, still valid as it makes the executable independent from whatever shared
libraries may or may not be on the target system.

>It might be better to create a script to make it easy to install BRLTTY
>on any medium instead.

Yes. Amongst other things, it should also configure with
--enable-relocatable-install so that the whole hierarchy is self-contained.