[BRLTTY] Configuration including usb and bluetooth

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Sep 5 20:29:18 EDT 2014

[quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2014/09/05 at 10:43 -0500]

>My Braille Edge works with both bluetooth and usb and both of these work with
>brltty individually. I don't think brltty works with usb using my Braille
>Edge's serial number but this doesn't matter as long as it is the only
>display.

It should work with the serial number. There are two possibilities. One is that
you're using the wrong syntax, and the other is that you're using the wrong
serial number.

If the serial number were 1234, then the shorthand syntax would be usb:1234 and
the full syntax would be usb:serialnumber=1234.

Your system log (probably /var/log/messages) should show you what the serial
number of your device, as presented by its USB interface, is. This information
is logged just after the device is connected, and should look something like
this:

   usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
   usb 1-2: Product: ONE_TOUCH_6012A
   usb 1-2: Manufacturer: TCT
   usb 1-2: SerialNumber: SO5SCAY5QWPB6DTO

You can also see this information in brltty's log if you use -lusb.

>My Braille Edge has a switch to switch between bluetooth and usb. I was
>wondering if there is a way to set up my /etc/brltty.conf so that both can be
>included and brltty will probe to see which one to use. I did try
>usb:,bluetooth: followed by the bluetooth address but this doesn't work, maybe
>because I am mixing types instead of just devices?

That should work. Just be sure that there are no spaces. If it really isn't
working then please post a debug log of the problem.