[BRLTTY] need help building on mac os 10.9

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Mon Sep 22 01:46:36 EDT 2014

On Sep 21, 2014, at 8:23 PM, Chris Moore <chris.w1gm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks to all of your advice, I was able to compile and run brltty on the mac.
>  The cfg-darwin script gave much better results.  The other issue I had was that I had to run screen under su.  If I ran it without the su, there appeared to be no communication between screen and brltty.

You should not have to run screen under su.

I don't know if this is still current, but with  screen 4.0.1, after installing both brltty and screen, we had to run:

sudo chmod u-s (whatever your path-to-screen is without the parentheses of course). I've always done it to the actual screen file not the symlink.

and I've never heard that this requirement was no longr needed but I don't see that in the readme for the screen patch. You might try this.

Also, screen is the only way brltty can be used on the Mac so you don't specify -x sc when starting brltty on the Mac, though the readme says to do so for screen. This will happen by default on the Mac.

I don't know for sure if my suggestion solves the problem but I do know that it shouldn't be necessary to run brltty with su. If the problem is something other than what I have suggested, I am sure somebody will post the correct information.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: